The Lorica Litany (St Patrick's Breastplate)

Today I shield myself with threefold power,
invocation of the Trinity,
belief in the threeness, profession of the oneness,
in union with the Creator.

Today I shield myself with the power of Christ's baptism,
his hanging and burial,
his rising again and his ascension,
his descent for the last judgment.

Today I shield myself with the loving power of the Cherubim,
obedience of angels, service of archangels,
hope of rising to my reward, prayer of the patriarchs,
sayings of the prophets, teachings of the apostles,
faith of confessors, deeds of righteous people.

Today I shield myself with the power of heaven,
light of the sun,
brilliance of the moon, splendor of fire,
speed of lightning, swiftness of wind,
depths of sea, firmness of earth, hardness of rock.

Today I shield myself with God's power to direct me,
God's strength to uphold me,
God's good sense to guide me,
God's ear to listen for me,
God's speaking to speak for me,
God's hand to guard me,
God's path opening before me,
God's shield to protect me,
from the snares of demons,
the inducement of my own vices,
the proclivities of human nature,
and those who wish me evil.
I summon these powers to come
between me and every cruel and merciless power
that threatens my body and my soul.

Christ be my protection today
against violence,
against illness,
against drowning,
against mortal wounding,
So that I may come to my ultimate reward.

Christ be with me,
Christ be before me,
Christ be behind me,
Christ be inside me,
Christ be beneath me,
Christ be above me,
Christ on my right hand,
Christ on my left hand,
Christ when I lie down,
Christ when I sit up,
Christ when I rise up,
Christ all around me.
Christ in the heart of everyone who beholds me;
Christ in every eye that sees me;
and Christ in every ear that hears me.

Today I shield myself with threefold power,
invocation of the Trinity.
belief in the threeness, profession of the oneness,
in union with the Creator.

The Lord is salvation.
Christ is salvation.
The Lord is salvation;

May your salvation, O Lord, be always with us.


This is one of many translations of St Patrick's Breastplate, also known as The Lorica and The Deer's Cry. From: A Celtic Eucharist - Brendan O'Malley - Morehouse publishing

Comments